Monies held-in-trust for Minors (2023)

Monies held-in-trust for Minors

1. When will the child be eligible to receive the money held-in-trust?

Nature of Money Age
Nominated CPF Monies 18 years old
Un-Nominated CPF Monies 21 years old
Estate Monies 21 years old
Motor Accident Compensation Monies 21 years old
Work Injury Compensation (Self) 18 years old
Government's Death Gratuity For cases prior 1 Sept 2015
18 years old (male)
21 years old (female)

For cases on and after 1 Sept 2015
18 years old (male & female)

2. Can you release the money held-in-trust because I am now the only parent or guardian of the child and have financial difficulties supporting the child?
Under sections 68 and 70 of the Women’s Charter, it is the duty of the parent or guardian of a child to maintain or contribute to their maintenance if they cannot look after themselves.

If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child and you face financial difficulties in supporting the child, you may apply to us for a maintenance allowance out of the child’s money which we are holding.

In deciding the amount of the maintenance allowance, we will consider the following.

1) Your income, property and other financial resources.
2) Your financial needs and responsibilities.
3) The financial needs and the age of the child.
4) The way in which the child is being or is expected to be educated or trained.

3. How do I apply for a child’s maintenance allowance?
You will need to make an online application at Select “Application for Maintenance Allowance”.

You will also need to have your Singpass ready to access our online application form. You may apply for your Singpass at if you do not have one.

If you are not eligible for a Singpass, you may apply for a log-in ID and password through our website at

4. What are the documents that I need to send to you?
You will be required to provide proof that you are not able to support the child (for example, your monthly payslips) and documents relating to the child’s financial needs.

For us to make payment, you will also need to give us evidence of a joint savings account opened with the child. We will accept a copy of the bank statement with the joint bank account number with the account holders’ names on it.

5. How will the maintenance allowance be paid?
The maintenance allowance will be credited into a joint savings account, maintained by the parent or legal guardian with the child, via GIRO every three months in January, April, July and October.

6. Can I get a reimbursement of extra expenses which are more than the maintenance allowance?
We may reimburse you, out of the child’s money, for the expenses of the education and welfare of the child, if these are not covered by the maintenance allowance.

We consider each request on a case-by-case basis.

7. What do I need to do to get a reimbursement of extra expenses?
You will need to send documents to your case officer showing proof of payment.

Common proof-of-payment documents are:

1) a letter of acceptance from the child’s school showing the amount of school fees; and
2) receipts showing proof of payment to the school.

8. What happens if I cannot afford to pay the extra expenses?
If we agree to pay for the expenses out of your child’s money, we will make payment to the school direct.

9. What do you do with the money held-in-trust?
We will invest the money that is held in trust in safe financial instruments like fixed deposits and bonds. We will pay the money, plus interest earned (less our fees), to the child when they reach the age of majority (either 18 or 21).

You can view the Statement of Accounts online through our eService (

10.What are the fees charged by the Public Trustee for the investment of money held-in-trust?
The statutory fees charged by the Public Trustee on the amount of interest earned for the investment of money held-in-trust are as follows:

Amount of Interest Earned Charge
For the first $1,000 5.50%
For the next $1,000 4.50%
For the next $1,000 3.50%
For amounts in excess of $3,000 2.25%

These fees includes GST and cannot be waived.

Viewing the Minor Beneficiary’s Statement of Account

1. Who can access the child’s online Statement of Account?
The following persons can view the Statement of Account:
1) The parent or legal guardian of the beneficiary
2) The child (provided that he / she is eligible for a SingPass1)

1 The minimum age to apply for a SingPass is 15 years.

2. How do I view the online Statement of Account?
You will need to log on to our eService through our website ( to be able to view the child’s Statement of Account.

You will need to have your SingPass of ready in order to access our eService. If you do not have a Singpass, you may obtain one at

If you are not eligible to apply for a Singpass and above 21 years old, you may register for a Non-SingPass login ID through our website (

3. How do I navigate this new eService?
You may refer to the training slides on our website at
There are available eService guides too.

4. Can I print or download the Statement of Account from the eService page?
Yes, you may print or download the Statement of Account for your records.

5. Who can I contact if I have problems accessing the online Statement of Account?
You may contact us at Contact Us @ OneMinLaw or call us at 1800-2255-529.

Please provide us with the following information when you contact us:
(a) A screenprint of the error message
(b) You and your child’s name and NRIC; and
(c) Your relationship with the child

Minor Beneficiaries Attaining Age of Majority

1. I will be turning 21 years old next month. When will I be notified to claim my trust money?
We will send you a notification letter 2 weeks before your 21st birthday with instructions on the steps and documents required to claim your trust money.

If you do not receive our notification letter before your 21st birthday, please notify us at Contact Us @ OneMinLaw, together with your particulars (i.e. name and NRIC), so that we may check and advise you accordingly.

2. What are the required documents to claim my trust money?
If you are living in Singapore

With effect from 5 March 2018, all payments will be made electronically.

Please submit your preferred payment mode via (Submission of Bank Account / PayNow Details).
•For PayNow, the account has to be registered with your NRIC)
•For Direct Credit, you will need to submit a clear copy of your identity card (front and back) and the front page of the bank passbook or bank statement.

For the other non-electronic modes of payment, you will bear all the charges imposed by the banks(s) which will be deducted directly from the inheritance.

If you are living overseas
For payment by telegraphic transfer, please send us by post or via (Submission of Supporting Documents), a clear copy of:

1) the page of your passport which shows your name, passport number and other particulars; and

2) the page of your personal bank account passbook or your personal bank account statement which shows the following information:
a) Your bank account number;
b) Sort code of your Bank;
c) Swift code of your Bank;
d) Name of your Bank & Bank Branch (if any); and
e) Address of your Bank.

3) If you wish to receive a Demand Draft instead, please let us know.

4) All the charges imposed by the bank(s) will be deducted directly from the monies held in trust.

Please let us know your preferred payment currency and overseas residential address. Please also note that you will have to bear the bank charges for the telegraphic transfer of the money to you and any cost of exchanging the money into a foreign currency. The amount to be paid to you will be net of the bank charges. Please indicate our case reference number on your documents.

3. When will I receive the trust money after submission of documents?
You will receive the money within 4 weeks after the birthday when you attain the age of majority or the date of our receipt of your documents, whichever is later.

With effect from 5 March 2018, all payments will be made electronically.

4. My trust funds were used to purchase an AIA insurance policy. When will I receive the AIA insurance policy money on reaching age of majority?
AIA normally takes 4 to 6 weeks to remit the insurance policy money to us after the birthday when you attain the age of majority. We will process payment of the insurance money to you within 2 weeks from the date of our receipt of the money from AIA.

5. What will happen to my trust money if I do not claim it immediately after I reach my age of majority?
If you do not claim your trust money after you have attained your age of majority, the money will be treated as unclaimed money until such time when you come forward with documentary proof to claim the money.

6. Will the Public Trustee continue to invest my trust money if I do not claim it immediately after I reach my age of majority?
Your trust money will no longer be invested by the Public Trustee and no interest will be payable on the trust money after you have attained your age of majority.

With effect from 5 Mar 2018, all payments will be made electronically.

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Nathanael Baumbach

Last Updated: 01/15/2023

Views: 6109

Rating: 4.4 / 5 (55 voted)

Reviews: 86% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Nathanael Baumbach

Birthday: 1998-12-02

Address: Apt. 829 751 Glover View, West Orlando, IN 22436

Phone: +901025288581

Job: Internal IT Coordinator

Hobby: Gunsmithing, Motor sports, Flying, Skiing, Hooping, Lego building, Ice skating

Introduction: My name is Nathanael Baumbach, I am a fantastic, nice, victorious, brave, healthy, cute, glorious person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.